5 life-saving tips to preventing electric shock injuries

How you can keep yourself and your family safe and free of electric shock

electric shock injury prevention, image

There’s a big difference between being “shocked” and being “electrocuted.” Electric shock is the physiological reaction or injury caused by electric current passing through the body, whereas “electrocution” results in death.

There are many things that can be done to prevent electric shock injuries. Here are five important safety tips:

  1. Be aware of possible electric dangers: Parents and other adults must be aware of possible electric dangers in the home, including damaged electric appliances, wiring, cords and plugs. These should be replaced or repaired by people with proper training.
  2. Don’t use electric appliances in the bathroom: Hair dryers, radios and other electric appliances should never be used in the bathroom or anywhere else they might accidentally come in contact with water.
  3. Teaching young children: Young children need to be kept away from electric appliances and taught early about the dangers of electricity.
  4. Cover safety outlets if you have kids: Electric outlets need safety covers in homes with infants and young children.
  5. Go inside during thunderstorms: During thunderstorms, people should go indoors immediately, and boaters should return to shore as quickly as possible. People who cannot reach indoor shelter should move away from metallic objects, such as golf clubs and fishing rods and lie down in low-ground areas. Standing or lying under or next to tall or metallic structures is unsafe. An automobile is appropriate cover, as long as the radio is off. Also, keep in mind that telephones, computers, hair dryers, and other appliances that can act as conduits for lightning should not be used during thunderstorms.

What to do if someone has been shocked?

A person who has been injured by contact with electricity should always be seen by doctor. Here are some recommendations on what to do if someone has been shocked:

  • Don’t touch the injured person if he is still in contact with the electrical current.
  • Stay away from high-voltage wires until the power is turned off. Remember, overhead power lines usually aren’t insulated. Stay at least 20 feet away, and farther if wires are jumping, arcing and sparking.
  • Don’t move a person with an electrical injury unless he is in immediate danger.
  • Call 911 if there’s a serious injury.

Here’s more information on an electric shock lawsuit, including additional safety tips.

Tags:
Search
Testimonial
Free Consultation